The National Sporting Library was founded in 1954 by George L. Ohrstrom, Sr., president of the Orange County Hunt, Alexander Mackay-Smith, editor of The Chronicle of the Horse, Lester Karow of Savannah, and Fletcher Harper, MFH Orange County. In 1955, George L. Ohrstrom, Jr. took over leadership of the board of directors and served for the next 50 years. Today, this institution lives on with the addition of a fine art Museum as the National Sporting Library & Museum.
From its scenic campus in Middleburg, Virginia, the Library serves hundreds of guests and researchers each year. The Library houses thousands of books, periodicals and archival collections that span traditional country sports: hunting, riding, angling, and more. The F. Ambrose Clark Rare Books Room houses thousands of rare published and unpublished works, the earliest of which dates to 1523.